Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Rhinolith

We had a sleepover at my friend's house and I was out cold at a pretty early time. The festivities continued without me but sometimes the voices got so loud that I heard them and maybe even internalized what was being said. One of my dear friends proclaimed, she never gets boogers. I was pretty shocked in my sleep at such a proclamation. This reminded me of how girls don't fart and when they do it smells like flowers. (The Persian man in the cubicle next to me farts and it doesn't smell like flowers but that's because he is a man and men stink but anyways back to my booger story.)

So this got me thinking...How could someone not have boogers? For scientific purposes, let's use the correct scientific name: Rhinolith(Dried Nasal Mucus.) I hope from now on all of you sound extremely pretentious and add rhinolith to your mental lexicon.

Nasal Mucus is produced by nasal mucosa and protects our respiratory tract and usually gets swallowed throughout the day. Rhinoliths form when the nasal mucus traps dirt that comes in through the nostrils. The mucus around the dirt hardens and becomes solid....Hence a booger. Having boogers is healthy, so I am guessing my friend may have a problem with her dirt capturing capabilities. People usually rid their nose of Boogies by "nose-picking," a social taboo, or blowing their nose in some Kleenex. This is usually called the process of creating a "snot rocket/farmer blow," meaning holding down one nostrils while blowing on another one.

Now let's talk about the word's etymology. (Dear Wikipedia, I love you.)

I guess you could say that scholars are confused as to how one word can take so many shapes and have so many different connotations. It is a word that is considered semi-vulgar and was used primarily in British print in the 1880s. But made famous by Dave Barry and the likes, Booger and its many forms (Boogie, Bugger etc.) made its way to our lovely American dictionaries and is now considered an appropriate way to address a Rhinolith.

Good day my friends, and make sure to blow a good snot rocket today. Your body thanks you.

3 comments:

Imran said...

sorry. i pick my nose.

Imran said...

see. the problem is when you cut your nails...its even harder to pick one's nose. but then when you have longer nails...you have the issue of maybe causing damage to your nose. its a tough life.

Anonymous said...

Imran is SICK!