Thursday, November 30, 2006

The OCD thoughts that get me through the day.

While flossing my teeth one cold late evening, I came across an epiphany, a realization if you may of huge significance. I have always been an epiphany type of person. I like huge forks in the road that make me choose what next major step to take in life. I wait for them. But there are so many things I wish I did better i.e. going to the gym more, reading more, writing more, public speaking more, and the list goes on. But these never get done because I wait for the forks. I hope that something significant enough happens that forces me to change my lazy ways and start doing what I know will make me a better human being. But those huge forks do not come when you want them to. This is what most Americans do on New Years. They hope that a new year will be the extra push they need to get things done.

Maybe this entry is turning out to be vague so I'll try breaking it down. Imagine not remembering to floss your teeth everyday. When you remember that you forgot to floss your teeth, imagine that you feel bad and worry about the condition of your teeth. There are a whole host of issues to be concerned about, i.e. gum disease and cavities. But you accept your laziness as the only route to take and your forgetfulness becomes habit. And eventually you look back, a month later and feel disgusted with your teeth and yourself. You should have known better. You have the tools to make better decisions but your lazy ass got the best of you.

So while flossing my teeth, I realized we cannot possibly stay sane by excepting huge forks in the road. I mean if you waited for a tooth to fall out before you started flossing, well that is just stupid. The best solution is to take it one day at a time. If you feel lazy that one night, after a long night of studying and garlic chicken pizza, put your laziness aside and floss your teeth. Don't wait for your teeth to fall out. If you are seeing a little bulge in your belly, just keep your hands in your pockets when the bagel carts come around. If you know the gym needs to happen but you feel lazy, put your feelings aside and get it done. You know its the right thing. Just do it then and there so you aren't looking at yourself in the mirror 6 months later 15 lbs. heavier.

It is overwhelming to expect perfection from yourself so by no means am I saying this. But if you are like me and you are hard on yourself and expect the best, then give yourself the best. Don't be your own enemy and screw yourself over before you get a chance to succeed. And I mean have fun in the process. This shouldn't be some life and death endeavour. Just handle your business when it needs to be handled.

It's funny that it took an epiphany for me to realize I don't need epiphanies or resolutions to get things done. Just take it piece meal, one step at a time, day by day. Before you know it, those little goals you set for yourself to become that amazing clean teethed writer or whatever else will come true.

Your teeth thank you.

No comments: